Among some of the best things Mother Nature could give us, almond is one. It is like a one – stop – shop that caters you with almost all your daily requirements of nutrients and at the same time its medicinal properties helps you fight many disorders and ailments. Only a few ounces a day can work miracles in the long run. That’s why our elders have been insisting us so much for chewing almonds every morning empty stomach and making it into a habit.
Almonds contain lots of oil among others nutrients like proteins, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Talking of health benefits of almond oil, here it is very important to mention that we will be talking mainly of Sweet Almond Oil, and partly of Bitter Almond Oil. The bitter almonds release highly poisonous hydrogen cyanide on combining with water and it can be fatal in overdoses, however, it has its own health benefits. We shall see what’s so beneficial about almond oil, but before that, let’s have a look at the composition of almonds & almond oil.
- Carbohydrates – 26% (Dietary Fiber – 12%, Sugars – 6.3%, Starch – 0.7%, Others – 7%)
- Fats – 51 % (Saturated – 4%, Monounsaturated – 32%, Polyunsaturated – 12%, Others – 3%)
- Protein – 22%
- Vitamin-E or Tocopherol – 26.22 mg (Around 135% of RDA)
- Vitamin-B3 or Niacin – 04.00 mg
- Vitamin-B2 or Riboflavin – 0.8 mg (Around 54% of RDA)
- Vitamin-B5 or Pantothenic Acid – 0.3 mg
- Vitamin-B1 or Thiamine – 0.24 mg
- Vitamin-B6 or Pyridoxine – 0.13 mg
- Vitamin-B9 or Folic Acid – 29 ?g
- Potassium – 728 mg
- Phosphorus – 474 mg (Around 51% of RDA)
- Magnesium – 275 mg (Around 75% of RDA)
- Calcium – 248 mg
- Iron – 4 mg
- Zinc – 3 mg (Around 75% of RDA)
- Manganese – 2.1 mg (Around 135% of RDA)
- Copper – Around 60% of RDA
- Tryptophan – Around 65% of RDA
- Sodium – 0.9 mg
So you see, consuming around 100 grams of almond every day gives you much more vitamins & minerals than actually recommended and it is full of fibers too.
Physical Properties of Sweet Almond Oil: Sweet Almond Oil (and Bitter Almond Oil too) is liquid at room temperature and does not solidify in. It is transparent, with a very pale yellowish colour. It has a flavour of almonds and has a nutty taste. It is insoluble in water and burns with a steady flame.
Chemical Composition of Sweet Almond Oil (%age of various Fatty Acids):
- Oleic Acid – 68%
- Linoleic Acid – 25%
- Palmitic Acid – 04%
- Palmitoleic Acid + Stearic Acid + Arachidic Acid + Phytosterols + Gallic Acid etc. – 03%
- Flavonoids or Polyphenols (Quercetin, Isorhamnetin, Quercitrin, Kaempferol 3-0-Rutinoside, Isorhamnetin 3-0-Glucoside, Isorhamnetin 3-0-Rutinoside, Isorhamnetin 3-0-Galactoside, Morin, Catechin, Epicatechin)
Check out the almond oil benefits on the next page.