Honestly speaking, I was just waiting to write this article on benefits of apple. First reason being here I will have a chance to write that famous saying “An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor Away” and secondly, because it is my favorite fruit.
But before that, let me ask you something. Do you at all know apple well? Most of you will say “Yes!” If that’s so, then I have a few more questions to ask you. Here are they;
- Did you know that apple belongs to the Rose Family (Rosacea)?
- Did you know that its scientific name is Malus Domestica?
- Did you know that it is one of the most cultivated fruits(see also Fruit Juice) in the world?
- Did you know that there are over 7,500 varieties of apple?
- Did you know that its worldwide production is around 60 million tons, with China leading, followed by United States, Iran, Turkey, Russia, Italy and India?
- Did you know that it has the highest number of genes (around 57,000) among plants and this number is way more than that of humans (around 30,000)?
I am sure you can not say a big “Yes” this time. Okay then, let me share some more information with you.
History: It is believed to be one of the first fruits to be cultivated and was first discovered by none other than Alexander the Great in Kazakhstan in around 328 BC. What he discovered was dwarf apples or perhaps wild apples called, scientifically known as Malus Sieversii.
Cultural and Mythological Aspects: Apple found an important place in many cultures, sometimes associated with fortune, prosperity, fertility, Gods and sometimes with evil, sorcery, black magic etc. In many religions, it is also seen as a “Forbidden Fruit” that induced “Sin” in man. It has important places in Germanic Paganism, Norwegian Culture, Norse Mythology, Greek Mythology etc.
Interesting Facts about Apple:
There are few interesting things too about apple to share with you.See also Organic foods
1. First is “Adam’s Apple”. You know very well what it is. It is an elevated marble like projection in throat that is seen going up and down, particularly when talking or swallowing something. Some people have it very prominent while it is almost invisible in others. Abnormal projections may result due to certain deficiencies.
2. Second is that apple is often related with sexuality and is often used as a sex-symbol.
3. A bitten apple is the trademark of Apple computers.
4. Jewish celebrate New Year by eating Apples with honey.
5. The term apple stands for a number of fruits, particularly those which are spherical in shape, but they are not necessarily related to apple.
Health benefits of Apple
Following health benefits are associated with apples.
1. Apples are high in dietary fiber, water, carbohydrates, vitamins (particularly B-complex and C) and minerals.
2. The high fiber content of apples helps reduce cholesterol.
3. They are rich in antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenols (phenolic compounds like epicatechin, procyanidin, quercetin etc.) which help prevent untimely ageing, cancerous growths etc.
4. The fiber in apple helps treat constipation and related ailments.
5. Researches show that eating apples regularly reduce the risk of certain types of cancer like Colon Cancer, Prostrate Cancer and Lung Cancer.
6. It also helps reduce weight as its fiber promotes weight loss.
7. Pregnant women are often prescribed to include apples in their diet to avoid constipation and to promote healthy growth of the fetus.
8. Apples help prevent dementia, a neurological disorder.
9. Researches show that an apple is more effective at keeping you awake and alert than a cup of caffeine, in times of need.
10. Chewing apples recharge our taste-buds, clear tongue and promotes blood circulation in gums and root of teeth.
11. Apples contain Malic Acid and Tartaric Acid which can prevent liver ailments and digestive disorders.
12. Apple cider vinegar help prevent formation of kidney stones.
13. The peel of apple contains galacturonic acid and pectin which are effective detoxifiers.
14. Apples are recommended in diet in almost every medical situation.
15. Apple juice can reduce asthma attacks.
16. A flavonoids named phloridzin, present only in apples, found effective in increasing bone density and thereby prevention of osteoporosis. Boron, present in apples, also helps strengthening bones.
17. Apples are also found in effective in treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Commercial Benefits of Apple:
Apples are in great demand worldwide and this demand is ever increasing. So, if you have some land that you wanted to use and wanted some long term benefits from it, and if the climate in your place is suitable enough, then you can plant an apple orchard in it and earn handsome after a few years when the apples start appearing.
So folks, those were the benefits of apple. Hope you enjoyed them