Since time immemorial, women have known about the anti-bacterial function of cranberries, which was earlier regarded as theories of folklore. A lot of studies have been made, trying to figure out the benefits of cranberry and cranberry juice since 1959. Today it is scientifically proved that cranberries are the biggest enemies of bacteria, which is not only restricted to this function. Cranberries are one of the best organic foods that are endowed with various health benefits. This organic food acts as natural remedy for conditions like urinary tract infections, bladder infections, asthma and scurvy.
Cranberries are rich in vitamins like C and K, probiotics, minerals, fiber, anti-oxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids and many other organic nutrients that may not have been named yet. This organic fruit is one of the best organic foods as it contains nearly no fat, no cholesterol and even low in sodium. Due to these components, the organic food health benefits of cranberries are huge in number.
Organic Food Health Benefits of Cranberries
Antibacterial Properties of Cranberries – Scientific studies have revealed that cranberries, in the forms of fruit or cooked or fresh juice, can check and treat urinary tract infections. Cranberry juices specially contain proanthocyanidins and tannins that acidify the urine and prevent breeding of E.coli. This is the bacterium that sticks to the wall of the urinary tract and bladder cells and cause infections in these spots. Research suggests that a daily intake of 250 ml of cranberry juice can prevent the bacteria from producing colonies and spreading in due course.
With the help of proanthocyanidins, bacteria can be prevented from spreading and sticking to other parts of your body, say gums and teeth. With a mouth free from bacteria, you will have lesser number of cavities, lesser development of plaque and fewer gum diseases. Cranberries are also known to reduce the growth and spread of streptococcus mutans, the bacteria that causes tooth decay.
The proanthocyanidins in Cranberries also reduces the growth of Helicobacter pylori bacteria that sticks to the inner delicate lining of your stomach and intestines causing peptic ulcers. Cranberries not only prevent harmful bacteria but also support the growth of friendly bacteria and thus lead to a healthier digestive system.
Cranberries are good source of Antioxidants and Anti-Aging Compounds – The antioxidants in cranberries lends you protection against free radical damage and oxidative stress, which further inhibits the ageing process and prevents the occurrence of other diseases.
Cranberries help in Prevention of Cancer – According to WebMD Medical News; cranberries contain flavonoids that can be considered to be a tool against fighting with diseases like cancer and atherosclerosis, which is more commonly called to be “hardening of the arteries”. The anti-oxidants in Cranberries can help in prevention of cancer and are known to have displayed anti-cancer properties against the cells in the
Some other Health Benefits of Cranberries
Cranberries aid in reduction of the bad cholesterol or LDL, which is known to clog the walls of the arteries and boosting the level of good cholesterol or HDL in your body.
- Cranberries are rich in a substance called quinic acid that prevents in formation of kidney stones.
- After a stroke, damage done to the brain cells is much reduced when cranberries are consumed on a daily basis.
- Cranberries even help in prevention of the heart disease and stroke.
- In case of treatment of inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and others, cranberries works like wonders.
Tips to Enjoy Cranberries
Whether dried or fresh, consumption of berries is a habit that you should start. You can put fresh cranberries in muffins and breads and eat dried cranberries like snacks, say about half a cup each day. Even you can add the dried berries to your cereals and oatmeal.
- Another popular form of having cranberries is the cranberry sauce. This cranberry sauce goes well even with all kinds of meats.
- You can drink pure cranberry juice without any additional sweetener or artificial ingredient. To make it taste even better, you can mix other juices like grape and sugar free juices.
- You can bake your cranberries and have it is in the form of cranberry pumpkin bread.
- Lastly, if you just can’t stand the taste of cranberries, then cranberry supplements are the only options you can avail. Following the dosage mentioned on the label of the bottle, you can add this nutrient to your food. When considering going for cranberry supplements, you need to go for whole organic food supplements, as these are devoid of any additives and are hence better than the ones readily available in the market or organic food online stores.
Thus, the above stated health benefits of cranberries can assure you that regular consumption of this organic food is the way to get and maintain a fit and healthy life.